Saturday, September 10, 2016

Acknowlegements

Acknowledgements
When deciding to write this account, I felt that there were years of memories and misunderstandings I needed to address. This account is my way of exorcising demons that have haunted me for years. I also felt that not enough had been written or published from the point of view of a person on the Autism Spectrum. I believed writing this account would be a good way to connect with people and combat the stereotype that people with Autism are emotionless robots who memorize obscure factoids all day.

I owe several people my gratitude.  To start, all the staff and students at the Vanguard School in Paoli, Pennsylvania, I am also indebted to many more friends who helped me along the way: Adrianne Harmon, Jim Lewis, Sabina Sloan, Erin Hewitt, Teresa Barone, Anna Trout, Christine Hayes, John Nurthen, Vic Sarro, Bill Apter, Myles Rothwell, Lee & Suzanne Gronikowski, Sean Gould and Eli Rosen for being the best musical collaborators one can ask for, Helen & Joe Rodolico along with Nicole Rodolico, Justine Rodolico and Steven Rodolico; Jane Cope; Lisa and Tony Saltzman, Ian Saltzman, Nick Saltzman and Madison Saltzman. And the many other people who have helped me in ways large and small.
                                                                                                                           
And of course my wonderful family: my caring uncles and aunts: Roger & Nancy Jones, Joe and Doreena Callaghan, John and Donna Callaghan, Mary Gilbride, Kathleen and George Nasca , Pamela Herzig, Garrett Jones,  and Joseph Steficek.  Plus many cousins, Adam, Amanda, Andy Nasca, Andrew Jones, Anne, Becky, Ellen, Jason, Katie, Kristen, Matthew, Mark, Meghan Gilbride, Megan Korneke, Michelle, Nolan, Ryan, Stephanie and Tom, along with their spouses, Amy, Amy, Chris, Dan , Eric, Holly, Jason and Kristi, and their kids Eli, Elliot, George, Katie,Jackson, Joseph, Lyall, Madison, Margot, Monica, Simon, Steven and John 
Mostly I thank my parents Michael and Lorry Callaghan, and my brother Kevin.  And I dedicate this to the memory of the best grandparents in the world: Joseph and Frances Callaghan and Roger and Dolores Jones. I also dedicate this to my Aunt Peg Steficek (a truly great aunt) as well as to my Uncles Donald Herzig, and Ronald Gilbride, as well as my friend Lee Saltzman and my beloved dog Berkeley, it is because of the way you all lived your lives that I keep moving on. 
and Last but certainly not least to Julia for teaching me to accept myself as I am.


SC

No comments:

Post a Comment